Monday, May 16, 2011

Guenther steps down, leaving the Fighting Illini without an AD for now

By Anthony Caruso III

The University of Illinois has to find a new Athletic Director now.

Their current AD Ron Guenther has decided to retire once his contract expires. His contract expires on June 30th, 2011.

He is the longest-tenured AD in the Big Ten Conference after serving as the Illinois AD for 19-years. He saw the Fighting Illini win 39 Big Ten Championships during his tenure.

He also served on the BCS Football Committee, as a member of its Bowl Certification Committee for seven years. He was also a member of the NCAA Championships Cabinet.

"After giving considerable thought I have made the decision not to extend my contract as Athletic Director and will retire on July 1, 2011," Guenther said. "For the last several months, I have been working with Chancellor Easter and administration on a succession plan for my position. A search committee is being formed and will begin work immediately to find my successor. I am confident an outstanding leader can be in place by mid-to-late summer.

"The last 19 years have gone extremely fast and a decision to retire has been very difficult. I personally want to thank all the members of the DIA as well as our colleagues in the academic community for their support. I have been fortunate to work with an extremely talented and loyal group. I will always be indebted. Additionally, the Illinois fan base is the best in the nation. I've always said we are fortunate to have individuals who have great passion and loyalty for the University of Illinois."

No comments:

Post a Comment